Tuesday 9 November 2010

Impractical studies

It is beyond my comprehension why modern education is so radically different from actual practice. You are not prepared whatsoever for the things you will actually need to do nor the way you need to do them after you start working. You may not recognise this if you're a student but not yet professionally active in your field of study.

I personally have the misfortune I was searching for the right profession for too long; now that I finally found it, I still have almost 2 years of studying ahead of me while already having worked in the field of translation for 2.5 years. For a while now I have realised that this education does not prepare me for actual practice at all. Moreover it is such a lousy course that I often wonder if this nonsense will teach me anything. The type of texts I need to translate I haven't encountered even once in 2.5 years of translation work, and you are not taught to use any of the (online) tools required to make adequate translations. It is like teaching a mechanic to fix a car with his bare hands: utterly blind and ridiculous.

Consequently, summoning the motivation to do my 'homework' seems nearly impossible. With every word I translate I think "What good is this? What does this teach me? Nothing!" But I need to finish these studies nevertheless. The going is hard, however... And to think I haven't even mentioned how ridiculously expensive it is (*ahem* 180 euros even to just take an exam! *cough*). So what is actually happening is that I am investing money in nothing.

And to think there are hundreds of other schools 'accomplishing' the same thing... I feel sorry for the hundreds of thousands of duped students who have no other choice than to perform the tons of impractical educational tasks imposed upon them...

No comments:

Post a Comment