Monday 23 August 2010

Materialism

It stuns me how many people hoard all kinds of stuff. I understand buying a few luxury items you really love, but the sheer quantities of "useless" things people buy astonish me. It is like they have too much money on their hands, and they are just eager to put it to use to find some kind of quick satisfaction. Or is it that they think they will feel rich, or feel happy, by having lots of random stuff?

Take coming back from holiday with bags full of souvenirs with hardly any practical applications (and all of them being relatively expensive, as tourists inevitably get ripped off), for instance. This seems the rule rather than the exception (in Western countries at least). People buy them to... do what? Remind themselves they have been there? To show others they have been there? Even though buying one or two souvenirs should be fine, isn't it better to just really enjoy yourself there and fix all the fun things you have done and the beautiful things you have seen into your mind to later revel in the wonderful memories they have produced?

No doubt some people (especially girls ;)) will not agree with what I'm about to say here, but I don't get (extensive) shopping as a goal in itself. Wanting or needing something and setting out to buy it, with that specific goal in mind, seems perfectly logical to me. I can even understand wanting to spoil yourself sometime when you feel down and going shopping for just a little while to buy something you like, or ordering something online and feeling like you're being spoiled when it is delivered and you rip off the packaging like an eager child at his birthday. But just shopping all day long looking to just spend, being eager to spend even, as a hobby, just to buy things, not with any other goal in mind other than to find all sorts of things that catch the eye (mostly clothes where girls are concerned ;)), and to eagerly grab them and haul them home as trophies, only to use them once or twice, or even every once in a while if it was actually a good purchase (yay!)? (Note that only the most disciplined of shoppers ever return home empty handed, by the way ;). They just need to buy something.) Or to have some kind of mental list (or even worse, a real one ;)) of all the things you still want to have in your house to "make it complete", and spending years to work towards this perceived perfection, as if achieving this, and thereby making the house "perfect", would make you happy. What if it burns down? Or if you somehow go bankrupt and lose everything? Or even just imagine yourself without all your material wealth, naked and vulnerable, owning nothing but your skills and memories (your treasures!). What then, are all these things you have accumulated worth?

I must grudgingly admit I have participated in this kind of behaviour (to a certain degree, as I have ever hated shopping all day long!). First when I was young and was cared for anyway, so I could just spend all the money I had on things I fancied. And later when money was abundant, me and my ex-girlfriend paying relatively little rent and having a double income to spend. I fancied DVDs so I bought at least one just about every week, starting a collection which grew and grew. As did my book collection. I thought: these are practical items, since I use them and enjoy them, and not just objects to look at (which I personally find quite a waste of money, since I don't care much for aesthetics). But I was wrong. I did use them (as a girl will wear a certain shirt once and then forget she has it) but I still haven't read most of those books (I cannot read that fast!) and even though I have watched nearly every one of those DVDs, they were also objects "to look at": I had a wall full of DVDs and books, and when I looked over to it, I was pleased to know I had all of that, and when I had visitors, they could also see I had all of that.

Great.

Did I need all this stuff? Of course not. Did it make me happy? Of course not. (Obviously I thought differently at the time.) Would I have bought all of this if I hadn't had excess money to spend? Of course not. I would probably have bought a couple of movies I really loved, and a few of my favourite books. I could have just rented DVDs on occasion, and gotten most of my books at the library, and it would be all right. Buying all of that was pure luxury, and simply unnecessary. I know this now.

I realised this when money started to get more difficult to come by, and I had to make an effort just to be able to pay my bills. I started saving on all kinds of things, mainly on luxurious items I didn't really need. I even started drinking cheap beer ;) (whereas before I was a whiner and would only drink a selection of fine (and more expensive) beers, and I found that I enjoyed these cheap beers, that they weren't as bad as I always believed. I even found that when I had a more expensive beer sometime, I would enjoy it more than I did before, since it used to be "normal" to drink expensive beer, and now it was "special", and thus more enjoyable.

In fact, it doesn't really matter how much money you have, as you will spend the bulk of it regardless of how much you have (except when you're an obsessive and very disciplined saver). When you're all but broke (or living in a Third World country for that matter..), you will (obviously) spend it on the necessities, just to survive. If you have some more money, you will spend some on luxuries, as simple survival isn't all that much fun. If you have even more money, you will buy even more luxuries - things you really don't need - and this process continues practically until you're Bill Gates and cannot think of anything else to buy. Why else would a happy poor man become millionare suddenly feel the urge to buy a fast car and a big house? He used to be happy when he had food and a roof over his head, and suddenly only the best food is good enough, and he "needs" a villa with a swimming pool.

At any given time, people have their eye on something they want to buy as soon as they have the money, regardless of how rich or poor they are, but how you spend this money is what makes the difference. Will you buy loads of random things that catch your fancy and stash your house full of them, or will you spend most of your surplus funds on trips and such to experience as many different things as you can, see as many places as you can to enrich your mind and experience the world as completely as your income allows? Me, I have recognised that most of the things I used to buy didn't actually do anything to make me happy. I now buy only the luxury items I really, really want (and how much more you will appreciate them when you don't have tons!) and spend the money I have left on doing things I enjoy, seeing as many places as I can, experiencing as many things as possible, and preferably sharing these experiences with the people I like and respect the most, as these experiences are all the more valuable when shared with a dear friend, partner or family member.

And in the end, when you are old and shrivelled and looking back on your life, you will know that you have lived your life to the full.

7 comments:

  1. Goeed te lezen dat jij je zo ontwikkelt en jij je geest verruimt en blijft ontplooien.Dat is t belangrijkste van t leven toch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor people are unhappy, as all they can think about is money. Rich people are unhappy, because all they can think about is money. When you have enough money to live and travel (but not so much that it becomes normal), thén you can live life to the fullest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldn't have said it better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Hak. Laura here.;) I've had this blogger account for more than 1 year, but I haven't posted too much...And some of the posts are in Hungarian.
    So I don't really use it (maybe later I will again), still, I'll use it from now on to comment on your posts.:D

    About the current one: I really agree...except for the books.:P I think books are special, one of the few things which are really-really worth spending money on. :D Sometimes, when you feel lonely or sad, they can even serve as substitutes for a friend..:P They can drag you into another world, make you forget about unpleasant things at least for a few hours or even help you take an important decision...:) aso. and they can enter your memories, too...side by side the real happenings and experiences of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you're right, but my point was that you could also get them at the library if you couldn't afford them, in which case you could just buy your absolute favourites. But since books generally aren't that expensive, and when you really love 'em, you can naturally buy many you like. Only I overdid it, as I have dozens of books I still haven't read :P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at me still winking ;) in this article. Like I actually cared if people might get offended...

    ReplyDelete