Saturday 12 January 2013

The Button

As I heard the soft thump I frowned, put down the beer next to a few of its dented and drained kin, wiped the tears off my face and headed to the front door. There was a fat envelope on the mat, which must have only just fit through the letterbox. I immediately opened the door, stepped out and looked around, but saw not a soul. Who would have left this in the middle of the night?

The second glance around yielding the same result made me go back indoors resignedly. I picked up the envelope, which was surprisingly light, and walked back to the sofa. I turned it around. There was no name nor address on it, nothing at all. I opened it and felt inside. My fingers touched something hard and squarish. I pulled it out. In my hand was a tiny black plastic box with a note taped on it. I pulled off the note. Beneath it was a red button set squarely in the middle of the box, and I gasped. This could not be. I had dreamt about this box, both awake and asleep, more times that I could count. Could it be actually real? Was I holding what I thought I was? It could not be, yet . . .

I started reading the note. You know what this is. If you press this button, you will die. Do note, however, that—

Closing my eyes and exhaling deeply, I pushed the button.

Nothing happened.

I opened my eyes, angry, wanting to smash the damn box to pieces, wanting to smash myself to pieces. I resumed reading the damned note.

Do note, however, that if you actually press this button, this makes you an absolute idiot. What, did you think there could really be such a thing as a little box that would magically strike you dead by pushing a button? You might as well start believing in Cinderella, Santa Claus or Allah. If you want to die, you've got to do it yourself. You pussy. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. But do note, however, there is nothing pussy about choosing to live. In fact, it is the courageous choice, for it the harder road that will have the biggest pay-off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courage is overrated, but choosing death also requires a substantial amount of courage.

      Delete