Monday 14 February 2011

Prioritising

This is so difficult when there are dozens of things each day you want to do. Besides the obvious, like working or studying, there are always chores that need to be done (but which are often postponed) and depending on how many hobbies you have, you always have other things you want to do. I, for one, have so many there is not one day I can do everything I want. To compensate I mostly run around like a maniac to save time, and I try to do every routine action as efficiently as possible for the same reason. I even zip up and buckle my belt as fast as I can to save two seconds. It's crazy.

Weekdays are different from weekend days, though. I seem to allow myself to relax then, falling into a completely different routine... of laziness. I do things at a leisurely pace and allow myself to spend the day doing fun stuff and resting. I am like a different person.
Sometimes I resolve to do some work or studying on a Saturday or something, but I shouldn't, because even the prospect of one hour's work makes my day a lot less enjoyable, constantly reminding myself I should go and do that thing after finishing the fun activity I am doing at the moment. And there is a reason I take it slow in weekends: I need to rest to keep up my frantic 'weekday pace'.

But enough about weekends. They are about having fun, that's clear enough. On weekdays, however, I want to have fun too. In fact, there are a number of things I just need to do on a weekday for it to count as a 'good' day in my book:
1) I need to be productive, meaning I either need to work and make money, or study - to finally finish my education and be rid of it.
2) I need to get a few hours of relaxation/recreation in.
3) I need to waste as little time as possible (when I need to wait for one minute for food to heat up, I do a leg exercise or something)

It will be obvious I won't feel very good if on any (week)day I relax too little (stress!), but if I don't get enough work done on a weekday I feel equally terrible. Being unproductive feels like being useless to me, even for a day. And I think being useful is one of the key features of existence. Contribute, or die.

I struggle with setting priorities each and every day, however. I could list dozens of things here that I want to do on a certain day, but I will spare you the dreary details. Regardless, I have to choose between these things every day, and this is especially hard when you have to disappoint people. And people seeking to make use of the time of another are disappointed every day, as people just have to make choices and will regularly choose to do something other than meet or speak with others, be it friends, colleagues or acquaintainces. There is just too little time.
Note that this does not mean someone does not have the time - someone just chooses to spend it differently. This is just the thing. When anyone cancels any appointment, or does not reply to an e-mail, it is because he or she chooses to do sometime else instead. This is why you can hold it against them in almost any case (except when there is an emergency). But should you? My solution is counting on people cancelling appointments, which will make the meetings all the better if they come through. If these people cancel, you were expecting it anyway. And if they cancel too often, screw them. Oops, I mean: deprioritise them ;). It's what they did to you, anyway.
If someone continuously deprioritises you, it can make you feel inconsequential, unworthy of someone's attention. If you work with these particular people, however (especially when they have a higher position than you do), you're pretty much fucked.

So every day is a struggle of setting priorities. I make a mental list of the things I really need to do, the things I really should do, and the things I really want to do, and try to make the most of it, to do as much I can in the 16 or so hours I am awake. It would certainly help if days lasted for 30 hours, though...

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it kind of depressing just assuming that everyone you meet is a bad person that will screw you? You say you won't be disappointed if it comes true and will be pleasantly surprised if that person turns out to be nice. But I think that just trying to meet new people will be something you'll think about as not worth while and a waste of your time, as everybody will be assholes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said that I assume that every person I meet is a bad person, or that everyone is an asshole. I just said that their actions stem from conscious choices. So that if they cancel an appointment with you, they thought something else was more important, and that if they cancelled regularly, that you were being prioritised, for which they can be blamed. No one is "just" "too busy" for anything: they choose certain activities over others, even if they are necessary/productive things like working, or fulfilling responsibilities like taking care of their sick mother. Sometimes the reason could be called a good one; often it cannot. Everybody cancels appointments sometime; drawing the line is what is important. And adjusting your expectations can help.

    But that was only a tiny portion of this blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it now. :D And I have to agree. :)

    ReplyDelete